1. Words having the same meaning, very similar to that of another word. Eg Mix and Blend, Daunting and Intimidating
2. Words that sound alike but have no other connection either in spelling or meaning. Eg. Alter and Altar, Air and Heir
3. Words spelt alike but pronounced differently and having no connection whatever in meaning. Eg Bow (a nod and an instrument to shoot arrows.)
4. Sets of initials designed to be said as though they are words. Eg. NASA, AIDS, etc.
5. Words of opposite meanings. Eg. Allow – Forbid, Essential – Unnecessary.
6. Words that read the same backwards as well as forwards. Eg. Madam, Malayalam
7. These are pairs or sets of words which though apparently different oin form are from the same original root, with certain changes in spelling. Eg Arc-Arch, History – Story, Sequel – Sequence
8. Sound like the noise they describe. Eg. Crunch, Bang, Meow, Gasp